Sunday, August 7, 2011

Music

What with the weather being the equivalent of a fat man's underwear, hot, smothering and very damp, I've had to hide out in the basement the past few days and get a few things done. One of those to do items has been putting the bulk of my CD collection onto ITunes so that I may continue enjoying the smugness that is mobile, digital music on either my IPod (which is so 2010 I know) or my phone. I've managed to burn about 1000 songs onto my folder so far which is only music for which I own the physical CD. There are about 200 songs purchased from the never ending money hole called the ITunes store as well. A thousand is a lot...until you realize that I have about 1200 ALBUMS to pull from...so you can see the wall I am up against.

Anyway, it's been refreshing to sit back and enjoy some of the old music that I haven't had to listen to in a while and the memories that come with them. While at the Goodwill yesterday (a place where the name of the store is in direct conflict with the actual state of customers minds), I picked up the Pink Floyd: Pulse DVD. We watched it last night and today it was one of the CD's that I pulled music from. I bought it at Blockbuster Music in 1994, the day it came out, and have replaced the AA batteries that keep the light blinking in the case several times since then... it's a gimmick, I know, but it helps the disc to stand out and remind me of buying it.

Burning that started me to remembering when and where I bought most of the CD's I had. I picked up Talking Heads: Speaking in Tongues, and remembered buying it at Turtles in Rome, Georgia when I was 9. Ben Levy, a kid I went to school with, introduced me to them and they have always been my favorite band. When Beastie Boys: License to Ill came out, I had to censor the tape myself (at 11 years old) so my parents wouldn't confiscate it. Yeah, I put tape over the holes, forwarded it to the bad words, pressed record for a split second, and voila...a censored tape worthy of the Vatican. Well, maybe.

Stone Temple Pilots: Core was memorable. That was the first concert I ever went to that was cool. The Butthole Surfers, STP and the opener was The Meat Puppets. I even had the honour of making a girl mad resulting in my being drenched in her soda. Cool.

It's fun to also get the albums out with one or two songs that you like. Am I really going to burn the entire Mothership compilation from Zeppelin? Well, yes I am actually. But there are so many albums that I bought for just one song hoping that the rest of the album would be ok or I would find several more tracks that were awesome. That tended to be the case with the hair bands from the 80's. Who could forget Trixter, Kix, Every Mother's Nightmare, Danger Danger?... Well, apparently everyone can but me it seems.

No comments:

Post a Comment