Friday, July 15, 2011

Test Ride

I took the Beamer for a moderate ride yesterday. I figured a nice jaunt down the road would scare out any ghosts in the bike after the major service I treated it to. I took 288 to route 60 and rode to Cumberland. After doing the spline service that apparently runs about $300 at the dealer (did it myself for the cost of the lube, roughly $9), the bike shifts much better. Cruising at 75-80, the bike is pretty smooth. At one point, I looked down and the bike was at 105 and I had not noticed. I've had an issue for the past few years with my arms getting numb when I ride due to the vibration in the handlebars when riding. If I hold the grips without squeezing them, the numbness doesn't seem to be an issue. I rode for a little over 100 miles round trip so I had plenty of time to test it out. My original plan was to ride to Appomattox and back, about 190 miles round-trip, but the rain showed it's hand and I was not prepared for it. I wore my Joe Rocket Ballistics Mesh jacket and my older Teknic gloves, so I had nothing waterproof to keep myself safe. In the end however, the trip was a success as no issues showed up from the bike or my arms. I'll need to figure out something to wear for underwear to keep my thighs from chafing, but that's manageable.

Next up will have to be some tires. I've been looking at Shinko as they make the odd sizes but in modern compounds. I'm running Michelins right now, but the front is showing some wear and tear. I'm planning a short tun to Georgia next week (or the following week if that doesn't pan out) and I figure that will be the final trip on the front tire for this bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment