Sunday, July 24, 2011

Preparations

Well, the plan is to leave for Georgia in the morning early or, if the weather does not cooperate and/or my sunburn isn't completely gone (it's about 95% at this point on Sunday), wait until Tuesday morning.

I pulled all of my old bike bags out of the attic yesterday (yes, the attic in 102 degree heat. It blew but you already knew that) and of course, I can't find ANY of the straps for my tank bag or saddlebags. Fortunately, the tank bag is also magnetic so there shouldn't be any issues there. The saddle bags are in fair shape. I haven't used them since 2002 when I rode to Danville Virginia on my R6 from Rome. One of the straps that wraps around the bag is completely gone and there is a small hole where the strap was apparently burned off by my rear tire. Otherwise, the bags are in good shape.The missing strap is only a safety so I'll make do and perhaps replace it with a bungee cord ('cause I'm ghetto like that) Since I'll be using hard bags in the future for any long distance riding, this is a minor issue.I'll just have to make sure that particular side has clothes only in it so as to keep the weight down.

Today will essentially be me getting the bike prepped and ready. I'll probably put the bags on, take the bike around the block a few times, and see if there is any shifting or other issues. If the saddle bags are an issues, there is always the back-pack that doubles as a pillow...or kinda.

1 comment: